Thursday, August 18, 2011

worn out zucchinis



Who takes a week off from work just to work in the garden and putter around the yard? Me.

I live with my handsome husband and a tuxedo cat on five acres in rural Montesano. I tend to a very large garden, four blueberry bushes, raspberry patch, two disappointing apple trees, and a small greenhouse that has seen better days, it currently has strips of duct tape in various places.

There’s always something to do outside. Watering, harvesting, planting or pulling weeds. Seems like in week I could have gotten a lot done. Nope.

Monday I watered and weeded some and just puttered.

Tuesday I went up to visit my son in Des Moines, which involved walking around Seattle and such. Great fun. We even rode The Duck tour.

I noticed on my son’s patio, there were 6 tomato plants, 1 pepper and some peas growing in pots. Reminds me when I asked my son to help me weed our large garden when he was in high school. He wasn’t wanting to help with the weeding and he assured me that his future wife would not have a garden. Interesting how things change. He’s even excited about me bringing him and his wife fresh veggies from our garden. The next day I was pretty tired from the trip. Didn’t get much gardening done outside, kept on watching the food channel or yard crashers.

Thursday I picked up our two granddaughters, ages 7 and 3. After a trip to McDonald’s and to the Salvation Army for some shopping, they were getting antsy to get to the house to see the garden and play.

Boy, you have to keep both eyes on young children all the time. Lucky, I saw a bobcat recently and told them I wasn’t sure if bobcats get people or not. So the unknown did keep them from running off unsupervised.

We grabbed our bowls and went out to pick blueberries. We all learned to only pick the blue ones. But do you know how hard a 3 year old can throw a blueberry in the bowl? Hard. Most of them bounced out. Soon we were done.

Next stop, picking peas. “Now hold the pea vine in one had and pull the pea off carefully,” I said. Three year olds don’t really like to hold the vine, they prefer to grab the pea by itself and just pull the whole vine real hard… Well we did get enough peas for dinner.

Giant zucchini. Both girls definitely had to pick a zucchini. They decided that was enough gardening for now. Later they drew faces on the zucchinis, poked barrettes in the sides, wrapped them in blankets, wheeled them around in a stroller and dropped them on the floor. It was a long day. Bless their hearts.


The girls had never slept outside before. Silly me says, “hey how would you like to sleep in a tent”? They were all excited about it. Got the tent up, sleeping bags, pillows and out we went in to the night. We were suppose to be listening for the bobcat — we could hear a dog barking and birds chirping — the girls were screaming and yelling each time they heard a noise. Then I heard myself yell at them for screaming and yelling! I guess my parenting skills are a little rusted. Reminds me of an episode on “That 70s Show” when Kitty asked Red where he got his rough parenting skills — Red replies, “In Ko-Reea”. Anyways both girls were  sleeping within ten minutes.

The next day I was kind of tired, again. Not much gardening got done. I did send the worn out zucchinis home with the girls.

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog, it inspires me to say something about our poor deer chewed yard. It's better this year because S put lots of fencing and netting up. We still had a doe and fawn looking in our back sliding glass door this weekend. I chased them away while barking like a dog. They didn't run far.

    ReplyDelete